Frank Herbert’s Dune: Ornithopter Assault is a cancelled flying / shooter game made by Soft Brigade that was going to be published on the Gameboy Advance by Cryo Interactive. Development of the game started in 2001, but in summer 2002 the project was shelved, even if it was basically finished (all the missions are completable), before submission to Nintendo due to Cryo’s financial difficulties.
This is the game’s fact-sheet published at the time in the official website, now offline:
Trained by Gurney Alleck, the most efficient and honoured officer of the House of Atreides, you are going to become a specialist in piloting and fighting ornithopters. Involved in all-out war for the spice, you must surpass all of your flying skill to survive the fall of the House of Atreides and help Paul and the Fremen in their fight for Arrakis.
- Spectacular 3D Universe on Advanced Game Boy, seen from the cockpit of the ornithopter.
- More than 20 different missions with various objectives simple recounting, escort duties, guarding, destroying troops and buildings, capturing vehicles, collecting spice and water, etc.
- 5 solo and multiple player modes (using 2 cable linked Advanced Game Boy) with various levels of difficulty solo mission, campaign, joint campaign and deathmatch.
- The first adaptation of Dune, the most famous of all science fiction universes, on hand held console.
Thankfully, a rom of Ornithopter Assault was leaked online and preserved. The game can be played on GBA emulators.
What do you think about this unseen game? Give your vote!
Would you like to add more info, screens or videos to this page? Add a comment below!
- Metal Lancer [Genesis / Mega Drive – Cancelled] - 24-10-2016
- Switchblade 2 [NES – Cancelled] - 19-01-2016
- Legions of Fear (La Toile du Diable) [Cancelled – PS2, PC] - 28-12-2015