Barnyard is an action game based on the movie of the same name, developed by Blue Tongue Entertainment and published by THQ for GameCube, Wii, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, and PC. Footage of beta gameplay has been uploaded to the IGN youtube channel as a video titled “Barnyard GameCube Video – Clip Compilation 2”.
The main differences in this beta footage are:
- animals could freely walk around the map
- there was a life-counter (was completely removed in the final version)
- players had “happiness level”
- the map was completely different
- The mobile phone had a music player, battery energy, and an integrated camera that could take photos.
- There was also a multiplayer mode for some of the minigames such as chicken coop (this minigame was heavily changed in the final version).
Besides IGN’s gameplay on Youtube there’s an official trailer where the Beta version was shown for the first time. It’s still not known if the version in this trailer was different from the one IGN previewed.
In 2021 more beta gameplay footage was found with other differences from the final version:
- The NPCs still had an AI
- currency was different
- the models of the trees and of the fences were different
- map still had some difference, but it’s pretty close to the final appearance
- minigames with up-to 4 players multiplayer were still there.
This gameplay was found on a Spanish website named 3DJuegos. The released Barnyard seems to have been built from a canceled, unannounced game in which all NPCs could interact with each other, build relationships and more. This is why the beta version of the game had more advanced NPC AI, but it’s still not known why it was later removed.
Article by InfiniteC0re and @longhorn#5853