Killer Instinct is a fighting game developed by RareWare and published by Midway and Nintendo. Initially released in arcades in 1994 it was later ported to the Super Nintendo. In the gallery below you can notice some early character designs for B.Orchid and Glacius. As they wrote at the Killer Instinct Arena, the earliest version of Black Orchid was a blonde amazon, but a later version of her featured a black outfit. In the final game Orchid wears a green and yellow dress.
Also, thanks to Lucazz we found out that a beta Killer Instinct ROM was somehow leaked online, and it contains many differences from the final version:
- the orchid stage and the cinder stage have the same beta floor
- glacius and jago have an unused song
- the gangsta theme is in glacius’ stage
- the fulgore theme is in cinder’s stage
- the menu screen is in a different position
- the orchid stage doesn’t have the rare and nintendo logos in the screens and the stage side is moved to the right
- the raptor sprites are corrupted
- the eyedol bridge stage is in the cinder’s stage, similar of the arcade
- in the continue screen the song is the same as the menu screen
Thanks to Robert Seddon and Lucazz for the contributions!
In a promotional video of Killer Instinct, embedded below, we can see an early version of the coin-op with some differences:
- Beta character selection screen
- Cinder’s name was Meltdown and Sabrewolf’s Werewolf.
- Some of the combo types were removed or changed, like Mondo combo and Elite combo
- The voice that announces the stage name is different
- Some stages were slightly different, like the Tower arena and the Sabrewulf livel
What do you think about this unseen game? Give your vote!
Would you like to add more info, screens or videos to this page? Add a comment below!
Latest posts by U64 Staff & Contributors (see all)
- Unseen Xmas Gifts 2017 (AKA presents for your friends while you help the site) - 05-12-2017
- Ruff ‘n’ Tumble [Beta – Amiga] - 13-11-2017
- Looney Tunes: By A Hare [Arcade – Cancelled?] - 17-10-2017