Conker’s Quest / Twelve Tales [N64 - Cancelled]

April 4, 2008 by
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (23 votes, average: 4.83 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

conkerquestlogo.jpg

We all remember Conker Bad Fur Day as one of the most original (at least conceptually) games ever released on Nintendo 64. But we also remember how it looked before, when it was called Conker: Twelve Tales or Conker’s Quest: the quintessential cute-looking platform. However, apart from the graphic style, the first version of Conker had some interesting features not found in released version. The overworld was probably bigger and there were more levels, like, as you can seen from the screenshots on this page, a Toy and an Ice stage, more bosses,more moves and gadgets (including vehicles) for Conker. Also, the game was slightly different if played with Berry, the cute friend of Conkey, because she would have had to raise monsters in order to fight the enemies. The most significant feature was however the co-op mode, which allowed two players to cooperate in the adventure mode. Unfortunately, only some places and characters were ported to BFD, although with heavy changes, like the Scarecrow, the Cyclops (that became the giant boss of the prehistoric world), the windmill, many locations and gameplay ideas of the phehistoric world, etc. We can only hope that in the future a proto of this game will be leaked for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks to Cubivore10 for the contribution!

Images:

Videos:

NEW 30 MINUTE VIDEO!!! Huge props to IOnEIFalcon

87 thoughts on “Conker’s Quest / Twelve Tales [N64 - Cancelled]

1. Hubacchris, ElvisDitto

I loved the originality of CBFD. But this also looks like a fun adventure.
    Still, I myself have played a million games. And sometimes, it is fun to play a game that has loveable characters who sware and are vulga.
    Although not something I’d recommend, but it just adds to the individuality of it. Not every single character is totaly perfect.

Can you imagine Wario drinking Whisky? I bet you he would.
    Can you imagine Pokemon injury each other? It’s been seen in Fan fics so many times.

Sometimes detering from the child freindly style of things makes the characters more believable.

No doubt this would of been fun, but the screenshots them selvs look far to birght. Almost like MS Paint default colours :_:

2. Unknown.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day Is a Good Game. But , Conker’s Quest Is Better In My Opinion. Conkers Quest Wont Get Sold Or Remade Because Look At The Consoles We Have Now. It Might Work Though Depending On How Much Attention It Gets & Spred World Wide.

3. Anonymous

during the summer i watch a youtube user known as xthemusic do a lets play of conker’s bad fur day and judging from the many cutscenes that game had i personally think that the humour that was put into the game was inspired by monty python NOT south park. also if rare decides to make another conker, not only they should go back to nintendo and also bring their franchises with them (excluding ghoulies, kinect sports, and of course VOMIT PUKE or viva pinata) they should also team up with the people who made the monty python movies to make a conker movie.

4. Jack

I guess the Killer Instinct team–having developed a brawler and Jet-Force-Gemini–couldn’t quite stomach the saccharine-poisoning of Conker 64, and decided to pull a volte-face.

I would’ve loved Conker 64, mind. He looked like such a versatile little ferret-thing: just look at his acrobatic display. Seems a far more mobile and free creature than Mario or Banjo.

5. Airy's Dark

iv pulled CBFD rom apart and find no CQ files at all. they clend it up good.
    there is a cbfd Remake for pc. but only multiplayer. but working on it has slowd to a stop. dont know why

6. studentdrinkinggames

Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a honest price? Cheers, I appreciate it!

7. gumerload

nobody realizes that this beta was more child conker has no voice, the graphics are more primitive, character models are rare, berry is not a rabbit, you see more children, but I think the final version is much better,I do not deny it could have been a good game.

8. CTTFan

@gumerload

This was a beta, and yes it was (obviously) a more child-friendly Conker, which I personally don’t mind.

1. If you listen in the background in some of the beta footage (when Conker is talking to a bird creature) you can hear that there was, in fact, voice acting

2. The graphics were not that much more “primitive” at all (and once again, this was a beta)

3. Many character models are clearly abundant and apparent in the beta screenshots, and let me remind you that BFD, too, had many textures, just by the look of it not at all as much content (once again though, I must add, this was A BETA)

4. Berry was never a rabbit, not even in BFD

5. I have no idea what you’re talking about when you say “you see more children”, although that obviously falls within your first complaint that this is a more child-friendly game, and that honestly doesn’t matter to me because I’m not some eleven year old who thirsts for crudeness for the sole reason of it being crude.

By the looks of it, even in its beta stage IMO Conker’s Twelve Tales looks like the superior game in terms of open world gameplay, amount of content, and yes, even the universe appeals to me more. BFD is a good game and I don’t care if its the game you personally like more out of the two because you like the type of unverse BFD has more, but statistically Twelve Tales, as a game, looks just as good if not better. I would have personally taken Twelve Tales over BFD any day.

9. Leirin

I’d KILL to see this game’s cart get dumped and leaked somehow. Seriously! I know for fact that it was playable at some game shows so there HAS to be a cart of it somewhere.

10. Mitch

Quite interesting really, this game shows great potential, too bad most of the good features have been removed.

11. MPNagem89

what i don’t get is that why couldn’t rareware appeal to both the younger gamers and the older gamers by releasing both games? oh well

12. Conker's Quest

I’ve heard a guy that had one copy of the Conker’s Quest Prototype.
    He showed a picture of the game that I have never seen before (a new picture, Conker walked on clouds. Didn’t look fake to be honest. And I know because I’ve used Photoshop in 14 years from now. I can tell if a picture’s fake or not, this picture was very detailed. Not a smeared one).
    He wanted 2.400 dollar for it. So I started a foundraiser (and I already had 1.500 dollar. I needed 900 dollar), but nobody believed me, so I didn’t get anything. But I got to be honest, it was a lot of money he wanted for it. I emailed him if he could sell it to me for 1.500 dollar. And he never answered. And there it ended. It was 2,5 years from now it happened.

Believe me or not, but I’ve told it now and I don’t lie. And I know there’s a copy of it somewhere. You don’t have to believe me though. I did my best to get it, but I failed.

13. Geneviève

The last screenshot “unknowconkervillainr” (the one with the strange magician) looks almost exactly like Waldorf from Conker’s Pocket Tales! I also found an render of him: http://www.dkvine.com/games/cpt/characters/waldorf.gif

So could this mean a lot of Conker’s Pocket Tales was in Conker’s Twelve Tales? This makes me also remember the Swamp Fiend from CPT, he was a strange hand coming out of the swamp and tries to slam you… this is really something like the first portion of the fight with the Great Mighty Poo! And plus their hands really looks alike, the music in the Claw Swamp is quite alike the song in Poo Land!

I also have two related new screenshots of Conker’s Twelve Tales, here: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/961244conker.jpg (The render of Conker just before they made it look so furry with angry eyes) and http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/469101conkcatty.jpg (the exact game boxart from Conker’s Pocket Tales but in rendering of the models of the N64 version! Could this mean they were like game twins? (One for the portable system and one for the N64)

1. monokoma

Thanks a lot for the info Geneviève Geneviève! The final boss from Pocket Tales could have been in the N64 game too, but it was completely removed when they changed the tone

14. Geneviève

Forgot to say this is an incredibly interesting article!

And also I remember seeing a YT video in which the game select screen was a bit different and the “flotting hand”was not of Conker or Berri, it lookes like a hand with a glove and purple handle. (Sorry my english is not so good) Now it makes me thinks of Waldorf or K.O. the Kat hand. (Could this means a option “battle the bosses again”?)

I just adore the little sunflowers with the happy faces on the boxart or Conker’s Pocket Tales… they are in Windy in Conker’s Bad Fur Day! (End of the chapiter Hungover)

15. retro

i wish i knew who had the beta for this for sale, i would buy it even if it cost much and make a rom of it if its possible

16. Conker

SHUT THE FUCK UP THE ME IN THE GAMBOYCOLOR VERSION WAS THE FAKE I AM THE ORIGINAL AND IF ANYONE SAYS BERRI IS A SLUT OR HOOKER I WILL SHOOT YOU!

CONKERWIKI I AM LOOKING AT YOU

17. Victoria something

I’ll admit, I think I like the idea of BFD better; conceptuously it was a more original idea. Even so, I have to say that this game looks awesome as well. If it was released, I would have bought it, no questions asked. It looks a lot smoother than Banjo-Kazooie or Mario 64 (not bashing those games, they’re amazing), seeing as Conker is a more slender being.
    My question is why they couldn’t have released both BFD and C64? It would be nice to have Rare dig this game up and release it on XBLA or WiiWare or even PC, but that’s sadly wishful thinking…

18. Anonymous

lets put it at this bad fur day adult conker,12 tails kid conker either way bad fur day would have happened eventually.

Add Comment Register