Solar is a cancelled sci-fi FPS that was in development around 2004 by Brat Designs, planned to be released on PC. The game was inspired by massive multiplayer FPS such as Battlefield 1942, and would have featured both single player and multiplayer modes over vast terrains, with up to 32 players. Single player would use multiplayer maps with the addition of advanced AI bots to simulate multiplayer gaming styles.
Some details about the game were available on the old Brat Design website:
“’SOLAR’ has two warring factions, each with its own set of weapons and vehicles, varying from trench mortars to long range bombardment cannons with payloads of neurotoxins. Transportation in ‘SOLAR’ varies by faction, each with a unique range of land, sea and air units, providing varied game play choices.
In addition to this are the Necro. An army of undead soldiers, re-animated by a toxic brew created by fallout from decades of nuclear, chemical and biological war. Mostly chaotic by nature, these troopers are a constant threat to both sides, but can be a useful resource if brought under the influence of one faction.
Interactive environments add another game play element to ‘SOLAR’. Buildings crumble as they are hit by shells or are crashed into with vehicles; gun emplacements can be manned to cut down the opposition in a hail of bullets trees and other incidental scenery can be cleared by a well placed grenade. All this leads to a dynamic, ever changing battlefield.”
- Vast terrains with huge viewing distances
- Interactive environments with fully destructible buildings
- Weather conditions including fog, acid rain and snow
- Three Campaigns (Earth, Mars and the Moon)
- Two warring factions each with their own technology set
- Advanced bot AI and path finding
- Battlefields containing up 32 AI or Human players
- Ground, aerial and aquatic vehicles capable of multiple crew members
- Called in air strikes and artillery bombardments
- Weapons of mass destruction (ICBM’s and Orbital laser platforms) Chemical, biological and radioactive
- Cooperative MP modes including, Interdiction, Retrieval, Assault, VIP Escort, Search and Destroy, Recon, Rescue and Sabotage
- Standard MP modes including Last man standing, Death match, Team Death Match, Capture the flag, Assault and King of the Hill
- MP playable demo currently available for publishers only.
Gaming websites such as Eurogamer and Gamespot wrote about Solar at the time, but it seems Brat Designs was not able to find a publisher interested in their project and that could be the reason for it never being released. A trailer for the game was released by the team (also re-uploaded on GamersHell), but we cannot find it anymore online (if you have a copy of the file, please let us know!). The same team was also working on another cancelled game titled Toon Army for Xbox and Playstation 2.
Thanks to SarkSweet for the contribution!