Attention all beta geeks a threat to our way of life has emerged known simply as ACTA. What is ACTA you may ask? ACTA stands for Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. This is no ordinary trade agreement as it would have dire consequences for the internet as we know it. ACTA was negotiated by a small number of countries in secret such as the United States, Japan, Mexico, and all of Europe. ACTA has been signed by almost all of the participating countries except for Mexico and New Zealand, however it still must be ratified by the European Parliament. So, you’re probably wondering what does ACTA mean for me? Here’s how it will affect you if it passes.
- Your ISP would be required to monitor what you do online 24/7 and if Hollywood thinks you committed copyright infringement they could throw you in prison.
- Youtube would be mostly wiped out due to “Copyright infringement”.
- It guts fair use laws.
- There is a possibility we would see a end to U64 itself in the name of “Copyright infringement”.
- Mods for your PC games may be gone.
- What the beta community does best which is preserve beta would be ended.
- It would limit freedom of speech.
So to sum up ACTA’s effect on you it would.
- Destroy your right to privacy.
- Limit your right to free speech.
- Destroy the internet we all know and love.
- Set up a board of unaccountable unelected people to modify ACTA effectively circumventing any democratic scrutiny.
What can you do about it? Glad you asked that question. You can go to www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet_spread/?wujuEcb to sign the worldwide petition telling the European Parliament to reject ACTA, you can also go to www.laquadrature.net/en for more information about ACTA and how you can act against it.
Remember ACTA isn’t about copyright infringement, it’s about infringing on your fundamental rights.