Metroid: Other M is an action-adventure developed by a team consisting of staff members from Nintendo, Team Ninja, and D-Rockets. Metroid Other M did something that no Metroid game before it even attempted. It gave samus a human side. Known as being the cold bounty hunter, Samus was given a softer yet unrefined image. Other aspects of the game rocked the boat to a degree, but overall, it still has that metroid gameplay that true fans of the series have come to love.
Production had a really large scale, with over 300 storyboards which took six months to be completed, and ten teams being employed to develop cutscenes. To make a game though, you have to decide what to put in, and what to leave out. Thanks to the unlockable art gallery, we can see some of what was left out of the game, over it’s 3 year development period.
Thanks goes to Proto1 for pointing out these differences and to Metroid Database for sharing the artworks!
In the beta gallery below you can see:
- Samus’ beauty mark was not part of her conceptual design, likely added towards end of development.
- Unused GFtrooper armor.
- A conceptual, streamlined powersuit. Not in game.
- A shot of an unused Lyle character model that depicts him unarmored (no helmet, w/undershirt). Not in the game at all.
- Alternate, unused designs of MBs hair piece.
- Concept art depicts Waver once had the ability to infect other enemies. Further, art shows them recoiling off of walls. Not in game.
- Grippers might have at one point been able to fly.
- An unused baby Dragotix.
- Alternate design for Biosphere terminal.
- Unused Ian and Samus photographs
- Teenage Samus w/different hairstyle.
- Unused Samus civilian clothes, purple shirt.
- Unused Phantoon design
Also, FacePunch are currently hacking apart Other M, and have found some interesting unused assets:
- Unused Power Suit, likely beta. It’s missing several creases along the shoulder pads, arms, legs and has a different colored arm canon.
Here’s a list of several unused character models that have yet to be ripped:
- 249-zss body HQ
- 250-young samus (from prerendered cutscenes)
- 251-adam in uniform (from prerendered cutscenes)
- 252-255 hq samus powersuit
- 257/260- metroid
Another member found test rooms and unused clothing:
“There are some development left over files for sure. So far i found the old suit model i posted earlier, a few characters/outfits which are only appearing in pre-rendered sequences and some test rooms from a very early stage of development.”
Thanks to Zero7 for the contribution!
What do you think about this unseen game? Give your vote!
Would you like to add more info, screens or videos to this page? Add a comment below!
Latest posts by U64 Staff & Contributors (see all)
- LEGO Racers: The Video Game [DS, Wii – Cancelled] - 23-05-2018
- The Retro Wonder Game DRM-free eBook Bundle, featuring Unseen64 - 15-04-2018
- Crash Tag Team Racing DS [Cancelled] - 30-01-2018