Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA Project – The Expansion Mod

June 26, 2010 by
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (57 votes, average: 4.28 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA Expansion is based from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64. Nintendo promised a great tale of adventure, new dungeons, new side quest and much more but it was never delivered due to the failure of the 64DD. A group of hackers lead by ZethN64 have joined together, creating their own version of URA (known around the community as The URA Project) with their ideas and input from the community on the direction to take this project. Their goal? To make it one of the best expansions to follow in the footsteps of Ocarina of Time. One of the main changes is that our Hero and his fairy partner Navi has been replaced by the Hero of Light and a new fairy called Raze who will feature a chime instead of Navi’s voice and colours.

They plan to make the environment in URA to feel more alive and real, breathing more of an atmosphere to the game. NPC’s moving around instead of standing still, new changes in storyline, a restoration of the “blade beam attack” and other cool prerelease/beta elements while creating new ones.

The team members include: ZethN64 (team leader), Sakura, SanguinettiMods, Naxylldritt, Arcaith, Dominic Ninmark(the composer), spinout, Shadowfire (the main beta tester) Branden, Satoshi and the guys from Hard4Games as the secondary testers. Other non official team members, are helping them with hacking and advancing in knowledge in the N64. BIG SPECIAL thanks goes to Twili, Fkualol, flotonic, JSA, Xdaniel, Deathbasket and cooliscool for the tools they have written and anyone else who contributed to this project.

Here is a list of some of the features being implemented in the game.
* A brand new plot with new dialogue to envelop the player
* A new protagonist
* A new fairy partner named Raze, with a new personality
* Completely new dungeons
* A new overworld
* New NPCs, enemies and bosses
* New minigames and revamped old ones
* Changes to the OoT game engine where appropriate, to add new functionality
* Restored beta content
* New attacks
* New items
* New MP3 quality music
* Ura only save files and enhanced file select screen
* New side quests
* Time of day system, with time sensitive events
* Restored beta animations / new animations
* New Warp Songs to learn
* A+B Reversed interface/controls

All work posted is considered work in progress and is subject to change for better and more refinement.  Below you can check out both released trailers of the URA Project, that represents one year’s worth of work. The project is currently at 50% completed! As always, U64 wishes them good luck! To find out more information visit their new website: URA Project Official Website

Concept Artwork:
zelda beta
zelda ura
zelda beta remake

Musical Samples:
Hymn of Ice

Temple of Ice

Overture of Wind

Wind Temple

The New updated info

The Outdated Trailers

293 thoughts on “Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA Project – The Expansion Mod

1. dinner blaster

@mahboi: he either quit or had some disaster befall him. Seeing as how Dominic’s not on the team list on their website, it’s probably the former. like your user name btw : )

2. dinner blaster

@mah boi: 64 drive bit.com, if you have two hundred bucks to spend.
    Last night i had a dream that one of the new enemies in the game was a fishead, like zant had in twilight princess

3. mah boi

200?! Forget it. And fisheads? I think the Uta team can come up with better ideas than recycled enemies. I didn’t care much for twilight princess. I wish they had kept that giant wood zone in the game. What is it with zelda and removing potentially awesome and large wood areas? Hey, hows about we go make fun of the old beta zelda restoration projects?

4. Kai

i cant believe iv only just stumbled upon a project like this, i really hope this will get done and the praise you wud get for extending the life of mine and many others most treasured games wud be phenomenal, my only criticism is the idea of the hero of light wearing a baseball cap..it just doesnt seem to fit in, however i absolutely adore the music that has been composed, the dungeon ideas and pretty much everything else, good luck URA team, please dont give up and i look forward to seeing the finished product :)

5. Emcee Razor

@Octorok_17

One big thing that’s on my mind is, how will I be able to play this?
    Will it be played on a computer?
    And if so, would the team be able to make a tutorial-type video explaining how to download and install the game?

6. johnathan travis

this is really amazing do u guys have an expected release date i have not read everything here but just from the vids it looks so good and is there going to be more quests if not who cares the pictrue looks great im already getting prepared for it hit me up

7. Octorok_17

@Emcee Razor: I’m very sorry I wasn’t able to answer your question sooner, but the mod will be playable on the computer via a custom emulator that will be released by the team alongside the mod, yet it’ll be also playable on a real N64 via a flash cart like the 64Drive. There might be a possibility for that to happen.

8. Emcee Razor

@Octotok_17 Its fine, thank you for getting back to me, and thank you for the information.
    Well in that case it looks like I’m gonna need to get a computer lol.
    Is there a product for public use that is near being finished? :)

9. Octorok_17

@Emcee Razor: Not really. If you’re talking bout’ the 64Drive then I hate to say this, but it’s something that you buy only from the internet. I’m sure there are units being sold in the public but they’re probably in used condition and trying to find something like I described will be probably pretty scarce.

10. Zombi 110

I have just finished ocarina of time and stumbled upon this beta stuff today, and I have to say, your soundtrack, the drawings, your efforts, it makes me believe that regular people can make a difference. I wish upon all of you the best of luck on this project because I believe it will be better than the other Zelda games. I have to calm down now, I’m having a nerdgasm…. I’m a 13 year old absorbing this all in at once.

11. oddMLan

I have some really bad news. URA project has now been cancelled.

Zeth announced this earlier in The GCN:

“Well everyone, I have some pretty bad news and I’m not sure what to do at this point. Our programmer and another one of our hackers left the project, partially cause their own loss of interest in the project but also due to other RL things which has led it to overwhelming them. Losing a big part of the backbone to the project has really crippled the team and I do not blame them, it has put me in a not so good situation on what to do with the project. While I have stated on numerous occasions I don’t want to see this project to be cancelled(I still feel that way even now)and I’ve fought so hard to keep it going. But I’m at the point i’m not sure what to do, the reason we worked as a team as we all had specific talents that worked together to help make the project a reality, but it has come down its really just me and a 3D modeler, a composer and two beta testers. I don’t want to cancel the project, but I’m having a hard time finding how I can keep it afloat by myself. I’m not a programmer and I have my limits just like any person. All I can do, is put this project on a hiatus til I can figure something out, while I may be postponing the inevitable I want to at least try to keep it going if I can, so if you have any suggestions, please post them. As for the minimod, I am still planning on finishing that up and releasing that, it was mainly being worked on by me anyways so that’s not much of an issue. Again I am truly sorry for this bad news, but this out of my hands/control.”

And then Shadow Fire did this announcement:

“It is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement. The URA Expansion has now been officially cancelled. Due to certain factors, none which can be publicly explained, the project began to collapse, before finally, it was realized that it could no longer be worked on, given the current situation.

Zeth has also left the community, having taken this pretty hard. He wanted nothing more than to have the project completed, and is devastated that it had to be cancelled.

I would like to state, first and foremost… I will NOT tolerate any backlash against him or the (now disbanded) URA team. We tried our best to continue under extremely difficult circumstances, but it was not possible. It is not his fault, nor anybody else’s. The team simply wasn’t able to function as it currently was.

Anyone who initiates any kind of slander towards Zeth will be penalized heavily. This is your only warning.

In addition, I would also like to state, that this does not mean the end of The GCN. We are still remaining as a community where you can share ideas, opinions and projects for all video game related stuff.

Also, please do not ask for the URA source, as it is currently a cluster of confusion, and there are several ROMs with different edits made.”

Oh, and don’t bother to look at the mini-website, formerly located at http://uraproject.the-gcn.com/ nor at Zeth’s youtube channel (he deleted it entirely).

It’s a real shame, URA Zelda was such an ambitious project; so much potential put to rest. Please don’t judge Zeth, he’s a good man, it was his passion after all, he really strived all the time to keep the project alive (you can even see it from the earlier comments in this page). But I guess things come to an end, specially when RL is such a bitch.

But this is not the end of other Zelda projects! In the forum are plenty of other projects like giadrosich’s Voyager of Time (going to be released on May 1st), Project Antiqua, a Zelda MM Mod, etcetera.

12. Zelga

URA Zelda is now DEAD
    Their website is deleted
    YouTube account closed
    Videos removed
    I don’t think there is a download for the demo, but they might send out a download link 50% chance.

13. Tony

@Zelga
    I don’t think they’re DEAD in that sense. I mean I know the website’s locked off…
    Maybe they’re just re-modifying; it happened to me once and the website was all updated.

14. Bromereb

The project is indeed cancelled. It may or may not be reincarnated eventually, but as of right now, its officially “dead”. Its very unfortunate, but its reality.

15. Sadness... Sadness all around

He removed everything, the site, his Youtube channel. I followed this Project for over 2 years now, and i was very excited to see the end product, the URA Expansion! I hope that they will pick up the Project again. But that is very unlikely.

16. Sadness... Sadness all around

I hope they will make some sort of URA Expansion BETA and let us play everyting they made so far!

17. His last words...

His last words before removing EVERYTHING:

Posted by: ZethN64

I have to say, I came across the recent news about Ura’s closure post by accident by hitting the home button on my browser. But since I was here, I did read it and all the comments, it made me shake my head at how quickly things could turn sour. Its really sad and justifies me leaving on good reasoning.

Anyways, Its true, I’m leaving the community for a while, URA is cancelled for now and its not because of my ego(or whatever everyone like to keep assuming and posting for whatever reason) its because I honestly can’t handle the stress, its effecting my health badly. Its why I’m breaking from the community for a while and pushing onward in my own direction for the moment. During the time I said I was going to release the files of URA, its was during the time I planned on staying in the community and using them to make minimods and improvements to OOT if Ura could not be finished. But after seeing this huge disarray and everyone is blaming everyone, and the personal fight you’ve all heard about it, I decided it was best for me to leave to stop myself from having massive chest pains from the stress. Now while I am leaving, its going to be for a lot better reason, I’ve realized tonight, I’ve relied on people to make tools for me waaaaay too much because I didn’t know how to program. I could hack and do some pretty awesome stuff, but programming was pretty much something I never got into. Because of this reason, I had to wait on the programmers to find time to make these tools that could help push the project forward, what am I to do if I don’t have a program that can convert the maps I modeled properly? or make texture replacement not such a huge hassle/obstacle? In honesty, there was a lot of things that needed to be made and they just weren’t getting done. After Ura’s programmer left, it left us in a very bad situation and I didn’t want to just downgrade the project ridiculously just to release new content, it wouldn’t be the same project if I did. I’m not blaming any of the programmers because you know life sucks, it gets in the way. If anyone understands that, its me(Trust me, it happens a lot with me, even things I haven’t told the community). So I’m not going to rely on people to make tools to help me accomplish tasks I need, while I’m gone I’m spending time learning ASM and how to program so I can make the tools I need to get shit done the right way so the project can get completed and not take two, three, four years down the road to complete. Ura has been my mod I have held with a passion and its not something I’m just done with. Programming and learning ASM is going to take time and its why I removed my channel on youtube, the website, etc. I don’t want the distractions or the pressure.(we’ve all seen how negative people can get) There is one thing that stopped a lot of progress, the team seemed to be scared of MM because it would require documenting and looking into how it runs. (Its not OOT, but it is a far superior engine) I’ve had people tell me its impossible, even the team doubted it at first when it was brought up(which apparently never left them which I had no clue about), that’s when I made the MM Castle town engine test video, to show it is possible.(if I am correct, it was also the first custom map imported into MM that I have seen). Since I’ve been with this community, people have always told me, its impossible to do this or that and it pushes me to prove them wrong. Like fixing the beta kokiri girl Fado, importing a map from Twilight princess, importing that room from mad monster mansion from banjo kazooie, importing models from MM and loading them up in OOT, restoring the beta blue fairy, importing animations from MM to OOT, etc. Since I’ve been with this community, I’ve pushed a lot of limits and done things a lot of people wasn’t able to do at that time.(I guess this is where people mix this stuff up with my ego rather then its just history, the thing is this is the truth) And now I have a fire of determination I haven’t had in a VERY LONG TIME. Ura will happen when the time is right, but right now I have a lot of ground to cover and its time I do it properly. I do thank everyone who has worked with me and some of the Ura team who I do keep in contact I am sure I will keep them up to date what’s going on such as shadowfire and thank you to the people who have supported this project and the wonderful comments I did see in the end, I promise the negative didn’t overshadow the good things you said. So, in the meantime in my absence, enjoy the other projects here and keep an eye out for when I do pop back in to share things.

18. William Powell

This is what drives me nuts, when someone declares a project is dead without paying attention to what the project coordinator said, that it can change, and just because a page does not get updated 24/7, does not mean a project is cancelled. It just might be hiatus or something. This jumping into a sea of conclusion is ridiculous and leads to lies and rumors that have no or little substantiation. Those are my two cents.

19. Zeth Alkar

As concerning spire, and other he said, she said bs arguments…Truthfully its stupid drama and its not worth worrying about. Just drop it and let there be peace and save us all the headache!

PS: Zelda Informer is bit uninformed. TBT’s project that was made by ZM90 on their website several years ago before it ended entirely, I was only part of the project, URA didn’t develop from them or from TBT’s project. (The BRP didn’t get out of development very well) Ura on the other hand was something I spearheaded from the beginning as my own project and it originated here. So I figured I would clear up some confusion on that.

20. Zeth Alkar

^^ I’d appreciate it if you would delete my top comment. ^^

Anyways, I want to start off by thanking you all your support with the projects, between the donations, ideas, and everything else.

With that in mind, let me clear some things up a bit; Yes, the Ura project is canceled for now(meaning that one day it will come back), the reason is because after Ura’s programmer left, all hell broke loose(left us in a very bad situation and I didn’t want to just downgrade the project ridiculously just to release new content, it wouldn’t be the same project if I did), and that isn’t the main problem either, this project damaged my health severely, and I need a chance to get a breather. I understand how it’s disappointing to everyone, but “it is what it is”. I sincerely apologize for keeping all your hopes up, what more can I say? But I do sure hope I’ve accomplished something; inspiring every single one of you.

21. LastWWolf

Zeth, it was a chicken shit move to just shut everything down and hide yourself. These past few months you’ve treated your fanbase like shit, and delaying things over and over again for no logical reason whatsoever. Your really making yourself out to be a selfish asshole.

22. LastWWolf

Face it people, the ura project is dead. Zeth only typed us up a novel so his ego wouldn’t go to shit. Zeth your an asshole and will always be one.

23. Zeth Alkar

@LastWWolf

I apologize for disappointing you, but like I said previously, the Ura project is only dead as of NOW. Meaning that it WILL return later.

1. Betaperson123

Zeth when you do get the back back on track why dont you do step at a time like do a dungeon, then item for that dungeon, then boss and puzzle or you could do the dark world first

please reply to this thanks hope you get the project back on track and get it finish in your own time

24. Animedude5555

I get it, it’s too big for anyone short of Nintendo to do something like this, and everyone has their own lives, so they don’t want to waste years working on something that isn’t their job. However instead of taking your project to the grave with you, why don’t you release your hacked-to-play-like-beta ROM at its current state, so others can can enjoy the work you have already put into it, even if it’s not finished to the point you would have liked to.

Add Comment Register