Far Cry is a FPS developed by Crytek Studios from Germany and published by Ubisoft in 2004 for Microsoft Windows. The codename of the project was “X-Isle”, a tech demo with dinosaurs on a jungle island. Crytek history starts with the ECTS 2000. It was there that they impressed all the big publishers with their tech demos at the NVIDIA booth. They continued releasing various tech demos over the years and the X-Isle one evolved into Far Cry.
From the original X-Isle: Dinosaur Island the plot of the game was changed many times before the final one, and once there were aliens too. As we can read from an old Gamespot preview:
In the game, players will be pitted against an ancient alien life-form closely related to the dinosaurs. The aliens have re-created a colony of dinosaurs in an attempt to take back control of the globe. The player must overcome the advanced alien technology in addition to the brute strength and power of the dinosaurs in order to succeed.
In the pre-alpha version of the game, there were some differences as noticed by Slayermaggot81:
- Different Hud/Health Bar
- Different and unfinished levels (low textures)
- More sunny lightning and clear transparent water (ain’t blue-ish like in the final game)
- Enemies does look different than in the final game
- Effects like explosions, smoke and blood were looking different
Thanks to Slayermaggot81 for the contribution!
What do you think about this unseen game? Give your vote!
Would you like to add more info, screens or videos to this page? Add a comment below!
Latest posts by U64 Staff & Contributors (see all)
- Ruff ‘n’ Tumble [Beta – Amiga] - 13-11-2017
- Looney Tunes: By A Hare [Arcade – Cancelled?] - 17-10-2017
- 8 Bit & 16 Bit Games You Will Never Play | Low-Price Edition Book | Vol. 1 - 29-09-2017