The Fallen is a cancelled action adventure game that was in development in 1995 / 1996 by Sensory Deception and it would have been published by Psygnosis for the original Playstation and PC. Sadly just few screenshots were found by Celine in CD Consoles magazine issue #19 and Edge magazine issue #33.
Below you can read the story / setting of the game, as announced at E3 1996:
The Lords are the law enforcers of the future, maintaining their own brand of vicious law and order in cities across the U.S. The Fallen are their prey, the drop-outs from society who fall foul of The System and want to find their own way without rules. When the two meet, only chaos can follow.
Play Lord or Fallen in this huge and minutely detailed strategic adventure which takes you from coast to coast across America and offers so many real-life options, you’ll think you’re there. And with bribery, corruption, gambling and violence all on the agenda, there might not be the place you want to be.
Some of the promised features:
- Unique characterisation system introduces realistic characters capable of complex interaction.
- Fully textured real-time 3D graphics.
- Non-linear structure allows the player to dictate the action strategy.
- Huge array of fully interactive vehicles, weapons and special objects.
- Combat includes hand-to-hand fighting, vehicle ramming and use of futuristic weapons.
- Multi-player options (PC version)
Even if we don’t know much about the project, from this description it seems that the gameplay could have been somehow similar to a futuristic Grand Theft Auto. The Fallen was cancelled for unknown reasons, maybe because it was too ambitious for 1996.
If you know someone who worked on this game and can share some more info or media, please let us know!
Thanks to Celine for the contribution! Thanks to Jason for the english corrections!